Select Menu

ads2

Slider

Market Update

Market Update

Politics

Society

Business/Economy

News Headlines

Entertainment

Columnists

Gainers

Market Gainers

Gainers

Losers

Market Losers

Losers

·         Herdsmen Kill 9 in Benue

The Nigerian military has given a strong hint that the Commanders, officers and soldiers responsible for Baga debacle, where newly acquired sophisticated weapons were abandoned to advancing Boko Haram terrorists who took over and ransacked the town early this month.
This hint was given on Friday in a statement signed by the Director of Defence Information (DDI), Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, saying that the affected personnel who are part of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) must account for the seeming lack of commitment and professionalism.
Following the loss of Baga, it was gathered that the DHQ was disappointed at what they saw as a calculated attempt by some elements within the military to sabotage the operation in the North East.
Accordingly, they set up a probe panel to ascertain the fall of the strategic town, barely two days after delivery of new weapons to the units.
Consequently, Olukolade has confirmed that the "Nigerian officers in key command positions of the MJTF are in the process of accounting for their actions leading to the loss of weapons, men  and location in their area of responsibility in the mission area.
"This is a normal military procedure in major operations or after encounters. The essence is to extract and collate relevant information for subsequent missions."
According to him, the probe “could also lead to or determine appropriate disciplinary action where necessary".
In a related development, the Defence spokesman said that  an extensive mopping up operation to search for arms or stranded terrorists and other casualties was ongoing in Michika, Adamawa State, after troops sacked the terrorists that had been operating in the town and its environ.
He said that the assault on terrorists’ main positions reported by THISDAY, was concluded on Thursday as many of them died in the combat.
Olukolade also revealed that troops who sustained injuries in the operation were receiving necessary medical attention.
He said that other troops are continuing the pursuit of those who are on the run from the town, adding that normalcy had been restored in the town.

The All Progressives Congress has denied a report by the immediate past Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro, that the APC presidential candidate, Maj. Gen Muhammadu Buhari(retd.), was pelted with stones in Lagos on Friday.
Obanikoro had issued a statement condemning the purported stoning of Buhari on the Lagos Island, where the APC presidential candidate and other party leaders went to pay homage to t...he Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu.
However, the APC, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said Obanikoro was only trying to impress President Goodluck Jonathan because he had been nominated as a minister.
The party said Buhari and the party leaders were not stoned but rather received cheers from bystanders, who are eager for a change in the leadership of the country.
The statement read, “Gen. Buhari and other top leaders of the APC rode in an open bus from the Palace of the Oba of Lagos to the Teslim Balogun Stadium venue of the rally, to great cheers from Lagosians, who lined the route.
”Not once was he pelted with a stone during the almost two-hour ride. It is obvious that those who were paid by Obanikoro to stone the General failed to deliver. We therefore urge him to seek a refund of whatever money he paid to his hired hands to pelt Gen. Buhari with stones.
“Obanikoro’s statement on an imaginary attack on Gen. Buhari in Lagos must be his own way of saying ‘thank you’ to his masters for nominating him as minister on Friday, as his reward for ceding the governorship ticket he claimed to have won to Jimi Agbaje.”
The party thanked the people of Lagos for turning out in “unprecedented numbers” to welcome Buhari to Lagos, saying the Centre of Excellence(Lagos) had never witnessed such a huge and cheery crowd.

Immediate past Minister of State for Defence and former PDP Lagos gubernatorial aspirant, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro on Friday chided the All Progressives Congress (APC) over denials that its presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari was stoned in Lagos while making his way to the APC Lagos presidential rally.
Senator Obanikoro had condemned the stoning of General Muhammadu Buhari in Lagos on Friday after the news of hi...s stoning broke via online news media platforms and went viral across the social media.
The APC on Friday through its spokesperson, Lai Mohammed denied the report stating that General Buhari was not stoned but rather received cheers from bystanders.
However, Senator Obanikoro in a statement on Friday issued by Ohimai Amaize, his Special Adviser on Media Strategy, noted that the APC’s denial of Buhari’s stoning in Lagos was not only pointless and futile but also does not give the APC any advantage.
“When things go wrong, we must acknowledge and condemn it in order to forestall any future occurrences.
“Senator Obanikoro, based on eyewitness accounts is aware of the stoning incident at Idumagbo area of Isale-Eko, Lagos State and the fact that a woman was injured in the ensuing fracas after General Buhari's security detail had to shoot into the air to dispel the irate mob”, the statement noted.
Signed
Ohimai Amaize
Special Adviser (Media Strategy) to Senator Musiliu Obanikoro

The Nasarawa State Governor, Umaru Al-Makura, on Thursday night escaped death when some youths ambushed his convoy at Mararaba Gurku in Karu Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the attack took place when the governor was coming back from an installation ceremony in Gurku, where he presented a staff of office to the Emir of Gurku, Jibrin Waziri, as second class chief.

Scores were reportedly injured during the incident and were taken to an undisclosed hospital for fear of being attacked by the miscreants in the area.

Confirming the attack, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ugochukwu Theodore, said that the rear windscreen of the press crew bus in the governor’s convoy was smashed by the protesting youths.

The police image maker stated that the police were able to bring the situation under control and that no arrest had been made yet.

He said investigation was still ongoing as of the time of filing this report.

The youths who ambushed the governor’s convoy were reportedly protesting over the exclusion of their community from the recently created chiefdoms in the state.

Speaking on the incident Mr. Ibrahim Saleh, a trader, whose kiosk was close to the scene of the attack, stated that a prompt intervention by security operatives forestalled further destruction by the youth.


-
A former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, on Friday said he sacrificed his presidential ambition for the All Progressives Congress candidate, Gen Muhammadu Buhari.
Tinubu stated this while addressing a crowd of APC supporters at the party’s presidential rally in Lagos.
He said Nigeria was facing an economic crisis and an internal war and needed a person with Buhari’s experience because of the General’s reputation of anti-corruption and military warfare.
Tinubu said, “People define patriotism as putting the country first but this is what the ‘Poverty Development Party’ refuses to understand. We chose Buhari not because Bola Tinubu is not interested in the Presidency. I am capable, competent, qualified, younger and richer but there comes a time that people must make sacrifices for their nation.
“I prayed that Nigeria would get better and we would not need a man like him (Buhari). But today, we are in a great crisis; we face a lot of challenges. When South Africa was in a great dilemma and was about to disintegrate, they called Nelson Mandela of 74 years old.
“He used his wisdom to save his country. When the United States was in economic depression, they called 73-year-old Ronald Reagan because he was frugal and incorruptible.
“When America was faced with depression and war, they called a retired General, Dwight Eisenhower, to rescue the country and the country was returned on a path of success. “When France was faced with war and economic depression, they called a retired General, Charles De Gaul, to rescue the country.
Tinubu added that whether Buhari presented a certificate or not, he was still qualified to rule the country.
“So what do we need now? Buhari. This is the time for us. General Buhari, whether you are qualified or not qualified, we are calling you to come and rescue us in Nigeria,” he said.
Also speaking at the rally, the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, said President Goodluck Jonathan had done nothing for the people of the state despite the fact that the President got over 1.2 million votes from the state in 2011.
He said every project that the Federal Government was supposed to have assisted Lagos in executing had been frustrated by the Jonathan administration.
He, therefore, asked the people of the state to vote for the APC at all levels.
Buhari, who was the last person to speak at the rally, said the failure of the PDP-led Federal Government was unprecedented in the history of Nigeria.
Buhari said, “We all know what we have gone through in the past 16 years under the PDP. The APC has identified three core problems that must be tackled immediately. First is insecurity, two is the destruction of the economy and three is corruption.
“But whatever we have to do, we will have to secure Nigeria first. What is happening in the North-East where hundreds of people are being killed is unacceptable. We known that the Nigeria Police and the Nigerian Army are capable of bringing peace and stability into the country but they just need good leadership.”


Available information has shown that four-year-old Abraham Omonigho, who was attacked by two German shepherd dogs in Igando area of Lagos State, in September 2014, was infected while at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.
This was said by the medical personnel at the Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, an Indian medical facility in Telegana State, where Omonigho was flown to late November, 2014, after his father, Odia, took him out of LASUTH.
After spending about two months at the Apollo Hospitals, Omonigho returned to Nigeria on Thursday. The treatment of the undisclosed infection was said to have lasted over one month.
Omonigho’s scalp had been covered up by the doctors but Odia said his son would return to India in June 2015, for a micro surgery.
This wa revealed on Friday during a visit to the Abrahams in their Akesan Estate residence in Igando area of Lagos.
It was reported that Omonigho was riding a bicycle with his brothers-Bobby and Osemidiamen-when they were attacked by the two dogs owned by their landlord.
It was reported that while the older brothers jumped down from the balcony of their one storey apartment, the victim was ravaged by the dogs, which tore his scalp.
Neighbours and policemen were reported to have stood at the gate, helpless, until the victim’s mother arrived at the scene.
The crowd persuaded her not to go in, but she was spurred to move in after seeing one of the dogs emerge from the balcony with blood in its mouth.
Helen reportedly fought off the dogs singlehandedly and rescued her son while the crowd assisted in taking him to the hospital.
The victim was taken to LASUTH and the State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, ordered the management not to collect money from the family.
However, the victim’s father, Odia, had a running battle with the hospital management, which he said still charged him for drugs and other medications.
Odia later raised the alarm that his son’s condition had worsened as a result of neglect by the hospital.
The Delta State Governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, intervened and together with a non-governmental organisation, Global Initiative for Peace, Love and Care, a trip to India was arranged for Omonigho to undergo a surgery.
 
The Lagos State Commissioner, Jide Idris, in a press release cautioned against the trip, saying the victim’s condition was delicate.
Idris alleged that the victim’s father declined the state government’s offer for Omonigho to be flown to another specialist hospital in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Odia, however, insisted that his son’s head had started to rot and that the Indian trip had been concluded before the state government gave him the Dubai offer.
Odia said the Indian doctors thrashed the medical report LASUTH issued to them, which he said was termed as “mere paper.”
He said, “They said the report did not give them any information and couldn’t have been written by a doctor. They said it was good I quickly brought my son because his head was getting rotten and had been infected while at the hospital. The doctors told me they could not start with the surgery because they had to treat the infections first.
“You remember I cried out that my son’s head smelled, but the LASUTH people said it was granulation. I had always suspected things were wrong because at LASUTH, the nurses would open his head for dressing at 6am and leave it open for the doctors, who would not show up till 12pm. And when they did, they would ask the nurses to close it up. I remembered that no doctor showed up for two weeks during a particular time. That was when I got mad because his condition was becoming critical.
“But in India, they dressed his wound three times a day, and at least five special senior doctors attended to him every day.”
Newsmen were shown a medical document of the hospital which confirmed that Omonigho’s head was infected.
It read, “At the time of admission, there was: large raw area over scalp with infection; the raw area was extending from frontal scalp, bilateral parietal scalp to occipital region; the raw area was looking pale and slimy; Infection+.
“Dr. Durga Prassad, consultant paediatrician, was consulted for evaluation of medical problems. He (Omonigho) was diagnosed as a case of infected raw area over scalp.”
Odia said the doctors told the family they needed to do skin grafting to temporarily cover up the wound before the major operation would be done after his return to India in June.