Latest News

Thursday, 18 April 2019

Court Adjourns NBC DG's Trial Till May 2

Court Adjourns NBC DG's Trial Till May 2

The arraignment of the DG, National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Dr. Ishaq Kawu, was stalled yesterday following the absence of the Chief Operating Officer, Pinnacle Communications Limited, Mr. Dipo Onifade.

Kawu, alongside the chairman of Pinnacle, Mr. Lucky Omoluwa, and Onifade were to be arraigned yesterday before Justice Folashade Ogunbanjo-Giwa of a Federal High Court, Abuja, following their alleged complicity in the misapplication of N2.5 billion seed grant for Digital Switch-Over (DSO) programme of the federal government.

Justice Ogunbanjo-Giwa adjourned the matter till May 2 for the arraignment.
Malabu Oil Scandal:Court Issues International Warrant Arrest For Dan Etete,Ex AGF Adoke

Malabu Oil Scandal:Court Issues International Warrant Arrest For Dan Etete,Ex AGF Adoke

Justice Danlami Senchi of Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Jabi has granted the prayers of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for a warrant of arrest against former Minister of Petroleum, Dan Etete; former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke; and others implicated in the $2.1 billion Malabu oil scandal.

Acting spokesperson of EFCC, Tony Orilade, declared yesterday in Abuja that Raph Wetzels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno and Burrato Sebastiano were also wanted.

They were to be arraigned before Justice Senchi yesterday to face charges related to the Malabu oil scandal, but they failed to show up.

EFCC had since 2017 pressed charges against Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Company (SNEPCo), Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited, Eni Spa, Wetzels, Roberto, Stefeno, Sebastiano, Duazia Louya Etete (a.k.a. Dan Etete), Adoke, Aliyu Abubakar and Malabu Oil and Gas Limited.

EFCC had, through its counsel, Aliyu Yusuf, prayed the court for a warrant of their arrest.

Yesterday, Senchi granted EFCC’s prayers and ordered their arrest anywhere.

The matter was adjourned till July 11, 2019 for further hearing.

Viral Video :26-Year-Old Cocaine Addicted Girl Rescued In Lagos By NGO

Viral Video :26-Year-Old Cocaine Addicted Girl Rescued In Lagos By NGO

The Senior Pastor of House of Freedom, Dr. Tony Rapu, and his team visited Ipodo, a notorious street in Ikeja, Lagos State recently and rescued 26-year-old Lizzy, who has taken to begging, hard drugs and prostitution as means of survival.

The girl, who attended two prestigious schools in Lagos, Caleb Nursery and Primary School as well as Vivian Fowler Secondary School, Billingsway, Oregun, and has been suffering from drug addiction for seven years, shared a bit of her story in a now viral video.

Lizzy said her ex-boyfriend introduced her to smoking of weed. He, thereafter, told her he had been mixing her wraps up with cocaine. “I couldn’t visit any rehabilitation centre because I thought it wouldn’t help. I started with weed smoking, then one day, my boyfriend told me he had been adding cocaine and I was surprised. I asked him why he would do such without my consent, but it wasn’t long before I got addicted to it. It became so critical that I had to take to begging during the day and prostitution at night.”

Rapu said: “We picked up Lizzy at the weekend at the joint she frequented in Ikeja and rescued her from the clutches of her captors; the drug sellers and pimps who feed her drug habit from the proceeds of prostitution and other vices.

“Lizzy told us about her upbringing, her addiction to crack cocaine and the depraved nightlife she lived to make money to pay the drug dealers. She is currently undergoing her first stage of detox and rehabilitation in the long journey out of addiction. We hope and pray she returns to a normal and productive life afterwards.”

Meanwhile, management of Vivian Fowler, in reaction to the incident, said that from its investigation, it has no record of any Lizzy as claimed, from the inception of the school till date.

The school, however, said it would work alongside Freedom Foundation to ensure the rehabilitation of Lizzy.

In another development, wife of the former governor of Lagos, Abimbola Fashola, founder of Bethesda Child Support Agency, Mrs. Nkoyo Rapu and a host of dignitaries, in a bid to encourage education in Ikota community, Ajah area of Lagos has commissioned classrooms for pupils in the community.

Pastor Tony Rapu, chairman of the foundation, encouraged Nigerians to show more care to the less privileged around them. He also expressed gratitude to all sponsors and supporters of the school project.

The building accommodates nursery, primary and junior secondary school with a population of 100 pupils. Titi Adewusi, the board chairman thanked Mrs. Rapu, for her passion that brought the dream to reality.

Victoria Friday, a pupil of Bethesday School, expressed gratitude to the foundation for the gesture. “I will read, study and obey all instructions,” she said.

Also, head of the school, Henry Ibu, revealed how the agency started. “In 2003, the NGO observed that a number of pupils in Ikota had zero interest in schooling due to the distance of the community school sited in about 10 kilometer away from the residential area. This was one of the reasons that led to the construction of this school.”
Buhari Challenges Atiku's Educational Certificates At Election Tribunal

Buhari Challenges Atiku's Educational Certificates At Election Tribunal

President Muhammadu Buhari has responded to allegations in the petition by Atiku Abubakar and his party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), before the Presidential Election Tribunal.

Buhari, in a response filed on Tuesday by a team of lawyers led by Wole Olanipekun (SAN), debunked Atiku’s and PDP’s claim  that he was not qualified to run for President.

The President said he was far more qualified than Atiku and challenged him to produce his academic credentials before the tribunal.

He argued that Atiku was not qualified to run for the office.

Buhari said he did not, “at any time, provide any false information in Form CF00] submitted to the lst respondent, either in 2014 or 2018.

“The affidavit of compliance to the 2019 Form CF001 was correct in every material particular.

“In filling Form CF001 in 2014 and 2019, respondent was not oblivious of the constitutional qualifications stipulated in Section 131 of the Constitution and interpreted in Section 318 of the same Constitution.

“Petitioners themselves are also not oblivious of the fact that respondent possesses far more than the constitutional threshold expected for a candidate contesting for the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The respondent avers that he is far more qualified, both constitutionally and educationally, to contest and occupy the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria than the 1st petitioner (Atiku); and that in terms of educational qualifications, trainings and courses attended, both within and outside Nigeria, he is head and shoulder above the 1st petitioner in terms of acquisition of knowledge, certificates, laurels, medals and experience.

“Respondent states further that it is the 1st petitioner, who is not qualified to contest the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and challenges the educational credentials and certificates of the 1st petitioner.

“1st petitioner is hereby given notice to produce and tender his educational certificates, indicating the schools attended by him, with dates.”

The President gave his educational resume as: “Elementary School, Daura and Maid’adua (1948 – 1952), Middle School, Katsina (1953-1956, Katsina Provincial Secondary School (now Government College, Katsina (1956-1961).”

Buhari faulted the entire petition filed by the PDP and Atiku,noting that they are more about pre-election issues, which the Court of Appeal, sitting as a tribunal lacked jurisdiction.

He also argued that the petitioners told lies against themselves in the petition and made conflicting claims which the tribunal cannot grant.

Buhari noted that while the petitioners claimed to have won the last presidential election and also won elections in many states in the Southsouth and Southeastern part of the country, they also urged the court to nullify the election and order a fresh presidential election.

Buhari argued that by virtue of Section of 137of the Electoral Act, petitioners cannot question the results of elections in states where they claim to have won and still retain themselves as petitioners.

Buhari faulted the petitioners’ claim that the election was marred by corrupt practices and substantial non-compliance with the Electoral Act.

The President also faulted the petitioners’ claim that they won the election, insisting that, by the result announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), he and his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), won the last presidential election election.

Buhari denied the claim by Atiku and PDP that the Trademoni policy of the government was a vote buying measure.

He argued that the policy forms one of the many social intervention policies of the Federal Government, directed at alleviating the suffering of the masses.

Buhari argued that the claim by the petitioners that they won by results they obtained from a purported INEC server lacked a legal basis and should be ignored by the tribunal.

The President challenged the petitioners to produce evidence of their claims that their votes were depleted and manipulated.

The President, in a preliminary objection he filed with his response, noted that the questions about his academic qualification and the reliefs predicated on the issues were matters over which the Court of Appeal had sat, adding that the tribunal lacked the jurisdiction to hear them.

He also faulted the petitioners’ allegations of vote manipulation made against some security personnel, some named private individuals and organisations, without making them parties to the petition.

He asked the tribunal to dismiss the petition on the grounds that the reliefs the petitioners sought by the petitioners are frivolous.

“The entire reliefs are not justifiable, as the petitioners, who claim to have scored majority of lawful votes in substantial number of states, are also questioning their own return in those states.

“The petitioners cannot act as petitioners and respondents in the same petition.

“The alternative relief sought is self-defeating, apart from being frivolous.

“The election to the office of President on 23rd February, 2019, was conducted in substantial compliance with the provision of the Electoral Act, 2010 (as amended),” he said.

Buhari, challenged the petitioners to produce “specifics of website: www.factsdontlien .com, including its domain owner, proprietor, lessee, lessor,  etc., pleaded in paragraph 29 of the petition.

“Details of the electronic data on the servers of the 1st respondent (Inec), including the time, the details were downloaded, the person who downloaded them and the means of downloading (paragraph 29 of the petition).

“The documents from the 1st respondent, publishing the registered voters in Nigeria, as 84, 004, 084 and the number of PVCs collected as 72,775,502 (paragraph 30 of the petition).

“Details and documents, showing a breakdown of the electronically collated votes of 664, 659, allegedly cast for the petitioners in Abia State (paragraph 34 of the petition).

“Documents showing the published registered voters in Bauchi State, as pleaded in paragraph 41 of the petition.

“Details of the electronically collated 332,618 votes in Bayelsa State (paragraph 42).

“Documents showing how petitioners’ votes were depleted by 173,153, in Benue State (paragraph 44).

“Details of how petitioners’ votes were depleted by 210,109 in Bomo State (paragraph 46 of the petition).”
Nigerian,Chadian Army Kill 39 Boko Haram Terrorists In Joint Operations

Nigerian,Chadian Army Kill 39 Boko Haram Terrorists In Joint Operations

Troops of Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) Sector 2 (Chad) and Sector 3 (Nigeria) while on clearance operation in consonance with operation YANCIN TAFKI on Tuesday 16 April 2019 have neutralized 39 members of Boko Haram Terrorists in Cross Kauwa village in the Lake Chad Region. During the encounter, 20 soldiers were wounded and have been evacuated for medical treatment. The following items were recovered from the insurgents:

a.    2 x Gun Trucks.
b.    2 x Anti Aircraft Guns.
c.    9 x AK47 Rifles.
d.    1 x HK21 Rifle.
e.    4 x Rocket Propelled Guns.

Similarly, the Chadian Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Tahir Erda paid a morale boosting visit to combined troops undergoing Operation YANCIN TAFKI in the frontline. He was received and briefed by the Land Component Commander of Operation YANCIN TAFKI, Major General Olufemi Akinjobi in Kinnasara Cantonment Monguno.

In his remarks, General Erda called for more regional collaboration in ending the surge of insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin. He urged the troops to create a good relationship towards achieving the aim of the ongoing operation.  He also visited Sector 3 Hospital where he checked on some sick soldiers and toured the scene of the fire fight.

The Chadian CDS was accompanied by the Force Commander Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) Major General Chikezie Ude, the Chadian Chief of Army Staff and other top commanders of the MNJTF and the Chadian Army.

Yemi Osinbajo Absent At FEC Meeting

Yemi Osinbajo Absent At FEC Meeting


Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo who presided over last week’s FEC meeting was absent at Wednesday's meeting

The meeting started with the arrival of the president to the council chamber of the villa by 10:59am.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno and 21 ministers were in attendance.

At the end of the meeting, State House Correspondents were briefed on the outcome of the meeting by ministers.

No reason was given for his absence.
Swiss Bank Seizes Nigerian Billionaire's Private Jet,3 Houses In London

Swiss Bank Seizes Nigerian Billionaire's Private Jet,3 Houses In London

Igho Sanomi, a Nigerian billionaire has lost his three apartments in London to a Swiss bank over $3million debt.

Credit Suisse, the Swiss bank, has also seized Sanomi’s private jet.

Bloomberg, Sanomi was guarantor for a credit facility extended to one of his companies by Credit Suisse Group AG.

Aside the Swiss Bank, Banque Cantonale de Geneva has already made a freezing order against the London properties, just as ING Groep NV has also filed a suit against Sanomi for Taleveras’s unpaid debts.

In a written submission to a London court last week, Andrew Brown, counsel to Credit Suisse, said “three properties owned by Sanomi, including apartments in Chelsea, West London, and Belgravia, in the heart of London’s diplomatic quarter, have already been identified as assets that may have to be forfeited if he loses”.

Sanomi wasn’t represented in court, and his lawyers at Clyde & Co didn’t respond to request for comments but affirmed knowledge of the case.

According to the bank’s lawyer, Sanomi “has not put in any defence or objection to the charging orders”.

Sanomi’s company, Taleveras Energy, trades more than 100 million barrels of crude oil annually and is targeting investments in biofuel.