The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) yesterday said a Monday night operation destroyed a new Boko Haram camp located between Malam Fatori and Kangarwa in Borno State.
A statement from the Air Force spokesman, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, said the new camp was about six kilometres from the Boko Haram location attacked earlier on August 20 by a NAF Mi-17 helicopter.
He said the camp was within the same vicinity of a similar night operation that led to the death of about 300 insurgents, adding that the post-strike Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) mission revealed that surviving Boko Haram terrorists re-converged at the new location.
Famuyiwa said the information was later confirmed by follow-up Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions that led to the latest strike.
“Recall that the general area around Malam Fatori and Kangarwa is infested with Boko Haram militants, hence the need to clear the remnants of in the area. The air assault is therefore expected to further degrade the capability of the insurgents while fostering the creation of the necessary enablement for our ground troops to operate,” he said.
Famuyiwa said NAF Alpha Jets had repelled an attack by Boko Haram militants on troops of the 153 Battalion who were on fighting patrol at Ala Lumshe.
Source: Daily Trust