Select Menu

DANGOTE GROUP

Slider

Market Update

Market Update

Politics

Society

Business/Economy

News Headlines

Entertainment

COLUMNISTS

Gainers

Market Gainers

Gainers

Losers

Market Losers

Losers

» » WE WILL NOT PAY RANSOM FOR KIDNAPPED FOR ABDUCTED CITIZENS IN NIGERIA..NEW ZEALAND GOVT
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post



The New Zealand Prime Minister John Key on Thursday ruled out paying a ransom as a long-held government standing for a New Zealander abducted a day earlier by gunmen in Cross River State.

He said at a press conference in Wellington that there was no chance of the government paying a ransom for the release of New Zealander being held hostage in Nigeria, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported yesterday.

Key said the compromise would only put a bounty on the head of any New Zealander working in a volatile region and make the situation worse.

The contractors, comprising three Australians, a South African, a New Zealander and two Nigerians working for an Australian mining company MacMahon, a contractor of the cement major LafargeHolcim, early Wednesday morning were abducted when about 30 gunmen attacked their convoy and killed their driver.

The convoy was travelling under police escort when the attack unfolded, Nigerian police commissioner Jimoh Ozi-Obeh told Australian media, but the gunmen managed to escape. The kidnappers fled on a boat waiting on a beach near the bridge.

Key said it’s likely the kidnapping was randomly motivated rather than an act of a terrorist organisation.

“The kidnappers are yet to contact police or make any request.”

Also speaking on the abduction, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the Australian High Commissioner in Nigeria was at the scene, but New Zealand has no diplomatic mission in the country limiting its capacity to coordinate the rescue.

He said the Australian mining company MacMahon, has been working with the Nigerian government to resolve the situation, just as New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs was receiving updates on the situation.

Turnbull also said the identity of the kidnappers who abducted his countrymen in Akpabuyo, Cross River State was still unknown.

“We don’t know at this stage the identity of the kidnappers and families in Australia are notified, of course,” Turnbull said yesterday, interrupting campaigning for a general election next week.

“It is a very serious kidnapping, a very serious criminal assault,” he said.

According to Reuters, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop didn’t say if the attack was thought to be terrorism-related and said Australian authorities were working with the Nigerian government to confirm details.

“We are working very closely with the police, security and other agencies in Cross River,” she said.

MacMahon, the company whose staff were kidnapped, confirmed the incident after halting trade on its shares, saying those kidnapped included the five Westerners and two local staff, while a local employee had been killed.

“We are working to ensure the safe return of all the men involved and are in communication with their families,” the company said.

MacMahon has two projects in Nigeria, including the Calabar cement quarry in Mfamosing, near where the attack took place.

About CKN NIGERIA

Multiple award-winning CKN Nigeria is your one stop shop for Nigeria News. Breaking News, politics, Society, Entertainment, Crime, International News etc
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments

Leave a Reply