- Minimum wage: our patience running out, NLC tells FG
- Wike: My administration will recover $43m Osborne loot
- No one can stop Igbo demand for restructure, Ekweremadu vows
- 2019 presidential poll: PDP leaders mount pressure on Jonathan to shelve ambition
- British Airways suffers IT outage, cancels flights
- Protest mars APC primaries
- Messi, Neymar Ensure Enrique Leaves Barca with Copa del Rey
- Osinbajo approves appointments for PenCom, BOI, others
- Childrens Day: Yobe children thrill legislature with mock parliament session
- Oyo targets 1.5m children for Vitamin A supplement
- Desist from illegal activities, Navy urges Niger Delt
- Lagos APC LG primaries end in fiasco
- Osinbajo’s wife to Alaba Lawson: Teach our girls, women how to become accomplished
- Boko Haram: Nani urges troops to maintain momentum
- Children’s Day Celebration 2017
- US Ambassador unveils first American space in Nigeria
- We’ll ensure free and fair LG polls, Ortom says
- Children’s Day: Bayo Adelabu Foundation earmarks N10m in scholarships for 150 Oyo public schoolchildren
- Newly upgraded traffic control facilities will enhance quality training ―NAF
- Democracy Day: Nigerians have reasons to celebrate Buhari ―APC spokesperson
- The Many Troubles Of University Of Ibadan
- I’m Definitely Going To Cross To Hollywood – Lulu
- Desmond Elliot, Mercy Aigbe Volunteer To Champion Campaign Against Widows’ Maltreatment In Nigeria
- Face Of Hope Reaches Out To Shapee Community
- US Court Forbids Burna Boy From Performing In US, Canada
- FA Cup Triumph: Wenger Deserves Respect
- Iheanacho Set To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Police Machine Crush Narayi Empire To Lift Sawa Peace Cup
The National chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Oyegun, is in robust health and sustained recovery, adding that he would soon return and continue with the good work he has been doing for Nigerians.
Chief John Oyegun, he remarked:“Today’s event signify that the APC means business. This was a project the PDP failed to do in 16 years when they were in power.
“But today, we are here to witness the commissioning of the water project completed by one of our most visionary governors.”
Also speaking at the event, the Emir of Zaria, Alhaji Shehu Idris, said the completion of the project by the administration of Governor Nasir el-rufai was a dream come true.
The emir recalled how 40 years ago, a former president of the country asked him to name a water project he wanted his government to do in his emirate since he had only two months left in office.
According to the emir, he told the then president that he wanted nothing but to ensure that his community has potable water.
“Indeed, the former president kept to his promise by bringing water to my people, but because of the growing population, the water service could not cover the growing population.
“It is my dream to see this become a reality. Thank you Mr Governor for making my dream come true,’’ he stressed.
Earlier, the state Commissioner for Water Resources, Alhaji Suleiman Aliyu Lere, disclosed that the foundation of the project was laid by former governor of the state, Namadi Sambo in 2008 at the cost of N15 billion and was later reviewed to N24 billion.
In his own remarks, former vice-president Sambo commended the state governor for completing the project.
He said he was not surprised because the governor, whom he knew since 40 years ago, was a goal-getter that once he set himself on something, he often finished it.
Speaking on the project, Governor el-Rufai said the Zaria waterworks was installed in 1939 with an initial capacity of 10m litres but is currently not functioning, pointing out that in 1975 it was upgraded to 50m litres but the operating capacity could not meet the 140m litres per day capacity.
Two persons were killed and others injured in an attack on a night club in Ijebu – Igbo, Ogun State, by people suspected to be cultists, who shot into the crowded club on Friday night.
It was gathered that the incident happened around 9:30pm when the fun seekers were in high spirit, drinking and dancing to a tune of music until the attackers barged into them and before they knew it, gun shot rang out severally, shattering their peace.
It was gathered further that bullets allegedly struck two of the fun seekers, including one Seun Abana, dead while some others were also injured in an ensuing stampede.
A witness told The Nation that the remains of the dead were evacuated on Saturday morning by the Police Operatives from the Police Divisional Headquarters, Ijebu – Igbo.
But the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who confirmed the attack on the night club, said one person – Seun Abana, was shot dead.
Abimbola said the assailant stormed the club, identified the victim and shot him.
He added that the Police is conducting an investigation into the incident to unmask the identity of the killer, expressing the confidence that the Police would get the killer.
Movement of Biafrans in Nigeria, MOBIN, has expressed dismay at the illegal and brutish use of thugs by the Ebonyi State Government to disrupt it's planned 50 Year Biafra Memorial Anniversary Lecture that was meant to hold in the Women Development Centre, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State capital today, 27th May, 2017.
MOBIN is a law-abiding organisation under the Customary Government and Supreme Council of Elders of the Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB).
IPOB is a registered organisation in Nigeria, and therefore, is a legal pro-Biafran movement under which MOBIN is pursuing it's dreams of taking over Biafraland politically.
Governor David Umahi allegedly sent thugs to drive away Biafrans who had gathered at the venue of the event and harassed them, including the MOBIN Director of Political Education, Evangelist David Agbo who is the prime organizer of the event.
MOBIN is with this press statement sounding a note of caution to governors and other leaders in South East, South South and all territories of Biafraland. MOBIN is noting the activities of these men and women for or against those under them whom they are supposed to protect.
Our assignment remains to mobilize Biafrans to take Biafraland through politics, and we will not hesitate to do this when the time comes. You cannot be a sore on the head of Biafrans and believe that Biafrans will continue to keep quiet in the face of oppression.
Enough is enough!