Justice Inyang Okoro has alleged that the Department of State Services (DSS) raided his home because he refused to be bought over by Rotimi Ameachi in the Akwa Ibom governorship election case.
In a four page letter Justice Okoro wrote to NJC indicting Umana O. Umana and Rotimi Amaechi of bribery deals.
A few days back (DSS) raided the homes of Justices of the Supreme Court and Judges of High Courts it accused of “corruption” and “professional misconduct” in parts of the country.
Several houses belonging to justices were stormed by security officials in Abuja, Rivers and Gombe states, with some of the judicial officers taken into custody.
The security operatives raided the Abuja residences of Justices Sylvester Ngwuta, John Inyang Okoro of the Supreme Court, and whisked them away.
They also picked Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court, Abuja at his Apo Legislative Quarters home and searched the house of another Abuja Federal High Court Judge, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba.
In Gombe, the operatives whisked away Justice Mu’azu Pindiga of the state High Court.
Here are the letters
Justice Okoro writes NJC indicts @UmanaOUmana and @RotimiAmaechi of bribery deals. It's a shame to @APCNigeria pic.twitter.com/MORXHN6wkR
Justice John Inyang Okoro wrote a letter to the Nigeria Judicial Council. He is one of the judges in the Department of State Services (DSS) raid.
Here are ten things he said in the four page letter.
1. The Department of State Security searched all the rooms in the house meticulously and took away the following items:
· One(1) I Pad
· Three phones( only one active)
· USD 38,800( thirty eight thousand, eight hundred dollars)
· N3.5 ( Three million, five hundred thousand naira)
· Cheque books (Four in number)
2. He was made to open the door after a phone call alleging he has a letter from the president
"On Friday, the 7th day of October 2016, at about 9.00 P.M, I received a phone call from an unfamiliar caller. He introduced himself as an official from the Presidency. He told me he had a letter for me from Mr. President...Upon the door being opened, I saw so many heavily armed men with an inscription, “DSS” on their uniform."
3. " Also, the DSS operatives informed me that their Director- General wanted to see me that night. I requested to visit their office upon the break of the day but they refused."
4. Explaining the money found in his house justice Okoro said:
"I told them that having received the sum of USD24,000( Twenty four thousand dollars) and £10,000 ( Ten thousand pounds) a year for the past three years of my sojourn in the court as annual medical/ vacation allowances, and having not spent more than £5,000( Five thousand pounds) on each of three trips I have so far made abroad. I was entitled to have more than the amount recovered from me."
5. He said he has not been confronted with any petition
"My Lord, as at the time of writing this report, the DSS has not confronted me with any petition or complaint from any quarters whatsoever. Rather, they have grilled me, asking questions on some none existing properties around the country."
6. "They have also doubted the age of my children alleging that they are toddlers. This is sad and unbelievable."
7. He alleged that failing to cooperate with Rotimi Ameachi was why he was fingered.
"Mr. Amecahi said All Progressive Congress mandated him to inform me that they must win their election Appeals in respect of Rivers State, Akwa Ibom State and Abia State at all costs."
8. Rotimi Ameachi Sponsored the Akwa Ibom candidate Umana O. Umana
"For Akwa Ibom State, he alleged that he sponsored Mr. Umana Umana, candidate of All Progressive Congress for the election and if he lost Akwa Ibom appeal, he would have lost a fortune."
9. Umana will pay him millions
"Mr. Ameachi also said that he had already visited you and that you had agreed to make me a member of the panel that would hear the appeals. He further told me that Mr. Umana would be paying me millions of Naira monthly if I co-operated with them."
10 . Justice Okoro said he reported the issue of Ameachi's bribery attempt to the CJN
""I strongly believe that my travail is not undermined but with the verbal report I made to you on 7th February, 2016 about the visit to my official residence by Honourable Rotimi Amaechi, former Governor of Rivers State and now Minister of Transportation.