The Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau has admitted knowing about security gaps at the Kuje medium prison, Abuja that led to the escape of two inmates from the Prison at the weekend.
Dambazau disclosed this while fielding questions from journalists at the Kuje Prisons after visiting the prison on Monday.
Two inmates awaiting trial for culpable homicide escaped from the prison on Friday night and are still at large but Dambazau insisted that he had earlier called the attention of the Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS) to the gaps which eventually led to the prisoners' escape.
"This is a very serious issue," the minister lamented. "The security gaps that I observed when I came here the last time, though I don't want to preempt the outcome of the investigation, I think those lapses were what made it possible for the prisoners to escape."
He said an investigation had already been started by the Controller General of the Prisons Service, Ja'afaru Ahmed, noting that efforts will be made to reinforce security at the prison facility.
While insisting that the names of all the inmates in cuatody must be known by authorities, Dambazau warned Prison officers to take their job seriously.
"This place is a warehouse where we ensure that anyone who passes through here does not go out as a criminal. So, if we leave these gaps, we will never be able to achieve our objectives," he said.
Dambazau who said the report of a preliminary investigation conducted has been submitted to him, declined disclosing how the inmates escaped from the prison facility.
He however, assured that anyone found guilty will be punished even as he said efforts were being doubled to recapture the fleeing prisoners.
Meanwhile, reporters were prevented from gaining access to the prison to get an insight into how the prisoners escaped as well as ascertaining if Charles Okah who was rumoured to be one of the escapees was still in custody.