Boko Haram members stormed a wake keep in Kuda-Kaya village, Madagali Local Government Area, Adamawa on Thursday night.
After the attack ,no fewer than 18 of the mourners, most of them women, were gunned down by the extremists who were believed to have sneaked in from the nearby Sambisa Forest, which is the operational and training base of the terror sect.
Some women were still missing at press time.
The injured were rushed to Gulak Cottage Hospital for treatment.
It is the second Boko Haram attack on the village, the first being last February.
The rampaging terrorists, who rode on motorcycles, also set houses on fire and kept shooting indiscriminately with no one available to resist them.
The attack took place at about 5 p.m. on Thursday.
A resident, Moses Kwagh, told Reuters that people wailed until three hours after the attack and had then counted 18 women’s bodies.
The Public Relations Officer of the state police command, DSP Othman Abubakar, said: “So far, 18 people have been killed in the attack. But the number of the casualties could be much higher.”
The House of Representatives member from Michika/Madagali, Adamu Kamale, said the number of casualties could not be immediately ascertained. But he said that many residents were killed.
State lawmaker Emmanuel Tsamdu told Reuters: “I am yet to get the details on how it happened and the real number of people killed. I have sent hunters to go to the area and get me the details because people are afraid to go to the village.”