An Ebute-Meta Magistrates Court 5 yesterday ordered that 13 members of the notorious armed robbery gang which unleashed terror on FESTAC, Ikorodu, Agbara and Lekki last year be remanded in prison.
The Chief Magistrate, O. I. Adelaja, ordered that the accused be remanded in Ikoyi Prison pending directives from the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP). Those arraigned and later remanded are Clement Abanara aka Millions, Denis Njoku, Ebi Blessing Olotu, Sunday Owoloko, John Sabajoh and Idowu Sobijoh.
Others are Airiyemipate Joseph Wisdom, Opeyemi Balogun, Olamilekan Morounkeji, Ayodeji Fanimeye, Mike Adebayo, Monsuru Adisa and Daniel Ukaeju. Prosecutors, Enoh Etoboh and Godwin Osuji, presented a remand application for the accused, pending DPP’s advice on nine different charges.
According to the prosecutors, the accused on October 13, 2015, at Diamond Bank on 4th Avenue, FESTAC, Lagos, armed, with AK47 rifles, dynamites and other offensive weapons, robbed the bank of N27 million. On the same place, date and time, they robbed Access Bank PLC of N29 million.
On June 18, 2015, the gang robbed First Bank PLC of N19, 003,470, $3,470 and 40 Euro. The gang also on March 12, 2015, robbed First City Monument Bank on Admiralty Way, Lekki, N24, 005,664. At Ipakodo Ikorodu, the gang robbed First Bank branch in the area of N19,012,095, $2,759 and 120 pound sterling.
On the same date, time and place, armed with AK47 rifles, dynamites and other offensive weapons, robbed Zenith Bank of N80, 524,102. On November 19, 2015, the accused robbed another Zenith Bank branch in Agbara, Ogun State of N110 million.
The money runs into over N400 million. Etoboh and Osuji told the court that the gang had during its operations, murdered Inspector Bethel Agbodi, Sergeant George Odehohwo, Corporal Ikechukwu Imoisiu and 15-year-old Serah Ibikunle at Lekki.
The prosecutors said in support of their applications were affidavit for remand, strength of witnesses; police concluded investigations and confessional statements. Counsel to the defendants, Jasper Omohmele, Emelda Adebanbo, Sqad Attaimu, Abiboye O. T., O. O. Quadiri and Dao Apodu in unison, said they were opposed to the applications because they were ambushed.
They argued that the charge sheet was kept away from them by the prosecutors and not for the Chief Magistrates’ intervention yesterday, they wouldn’t have it. They also stated that the aforementioned affidavit and exhibits were not displayed to them.
Adelaja said the court was presented with a remand application and not a trial application. Adelaja said the accused shall be remanded in Ikoyi Prison and brought to court after legal advice from the DPP. She adjourned the case till May 11, 2016.
FOR MORE STORIES VISIT CKN NEWS SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS:
CKN NEWS Hotline: 08080054001
BBM : 2BE329DF